John Harrington, PhD is President of Harrington Investments, Inc. Mr. Harrington has a BA degree in Political Science from Sonoma State University and has studied graduate economics at Sacramento State University, University of California Los Angeles, and the University of York, England.
John received his MA degree in Humanities from Dominican University. His master’s thesis was entitled “The Morality of Materialistic Self-Interest: The Corporation and the State”. In 2007, he received the Sonoma State University ‘Distinguished Alumni’ award. John was awarded a PhD in Philosophy at the Centre for Moral, Social and Political Theory, The Australian National University (ANU) for his dissertation entitled “The Failure to Constrain Corporate Social Injury, The State, the Stakeholder and the Fiduciary.”
Over the years John has held several NASD licenses, including Series 6, 7, 24, 26, and 63. He is the author of Investing With Your Conscience: How to Achieve High Returns Using Socially Responsible Investing (John Wiley & Sons, 1992) and The Challenge to Power: Money, Investing and Democracy (Chelsea Green Publishing, 2005).
- Board Member, Scott Raymond Evans Foundation
- Member of Green Century President’s Circle
- Board Member & Treasurer, Community Development Finance
- Board Member & Owner, Capra Press
Former affiliations and positions include:
- Manager of Community Commercial Ventures, LLC
- Board Member & Treasurer, Global Exchange
- Board Member, Corporate Accountability International
- Board Member, Eleos Foundation
- President & Chairman of the Board, Working Assets Management Company
- Advisory Board Member, The Rose Foundation
- Chairman of the Board, Progressive Asset Management
- Chairman, California Governor’s Public Investment Task Force
- Advisory Board Member, Women for Women International
- Member, Sacramento Board of Administration, Investment and Fiscal Management
- Consultant, California State Senate Select Committee on Investment Priorities & Objectives
- Consultant, Senate Committee on Energy & Public Utilities, California Legislature
- Consultant, California State & Consumer Services Agency
- Statewide Political Coordinator, California Council of Service Employees, SEIU, AFL-CIO
- Chair, N. CA Support Association for the Ecumenical Development Cooperative Society
- Vice Chair, Board of Directors, Filipino-American Chamber of Commerce of San Francisco
- Board Member, Northern California Community Loan Fund
- Co-Chair, KPFA Radio Capital Campaign
- Board Member & Treasurer, Collective Heritage Institute (Bioneers)
- Board Member, Mountain Lion Foundation
- Board Member, Treasurer and Audit Committee Chair, Pesticide Action Network
- Board Member & Treasurer, The Land Trust of Napa County
- Board Member, Light Index Investment Company
- Manager, Global Partners, LLC
- Board Member, Waterhealth International
- Board Member, Preservation Napa Valley
by John Harrington, published in The Huffington Post No one needs to remind us of the cataclysmic U.S. economic crisis and resulting great recession beginning in 2008, primarily caused by excessive speculation in housing mortgage financing and the leveraging of exotic...
by James McRitchie, published in Corporate Governance Bank of America (BAC) shareholders can now look forward to nominating candidates to the Board of Directors in a deal negotiated by John Harrington, CEO of Harrington Investments, Inc., (HII) a socially responsible...
Harrington Prevails at Bank of America: Corporation Amends Bylaws for Shareholders to Nominate Director
March 19, 2015 – Napa, CA – Bank of America shareholders can now look forward to nominating candidates to the Board of Directors in a deal negotiated by John Harrington, CEO of Harrington Investments, Inc., (HII) a socially responsible investment advisory firm based...
Feb 2, 2015 – Napa, CA –Monsanto shareholders adopted a shareholder proposal by John Harrington, CEO of Harrington Investments, Inc., (HII) a socially responsible investment advisory firm based in Napa, to request the board of directors to allow shareholders to...
by John Harrington When the financial crisis hit the global economy in late 2007, there was a “reset,” not only on the U.S. economy in general and financial institutions specifically, but a major reordering of the labor market and American workers. This crisis...
Alignment between Corporate Values and Political Contributions Whereas: The proponent believes McDonald’s should establish policies that minimize risk to the corporation’s reputation and brand; McDonald’s Corporation Political Contribution Policy indicates that...