John Harrington, PhD is President of Harrington Investments, Inc., as well as a Manager of Community Commercial Ventures, LLC. Mr. Harrington has a BA degree in Political Science from Sonoma State University and has studied graduate economics at Sacramento State University, University of California Los Angeles, and the University of York, England.
John received his MA degree in Humanities from Dominican University. His master’s thesis was entitled “The Morality of Materialistic Self-Interest: The Corporation and the State”. In 2007, he received the Sonoma State University ‘Distinguished Alumni’ award. John was awarded a PhD in Philosophy at the Centre for Moral, Social and Political Theory, The Australian National University (ANU) for his dissertation entitled “The Failure to Constrain Corporate Social Injury, The State, the Stakeholder and the Fiduciary.”
Over the years John has held several NASD licenses, including Series 6, 7, 24, 26, and 63. He is the author of Investing With Your Conscience: How to Achieve High Returns Using Socially Responsible Investing (John Wiley & Sons, 1992) and The Challenge to Power: Money, Investing and Democracy (Chelsea Green Publishing, 2005).
Mr. Harrington’s current affiliations and positions include:
- Board Member, Scott Raymond Evans Foundation
- Member of Green Century President’s Circle
- Board Member & Treasurer, Community Development Finance
- Board Member & Owner, Capra Press
Former affiliations and positions include:
- Board Member & Treasurer, Global Exchange
- Board Member, Corporate Accountability International
- Board Member, Eleos Foundation
- President & Chairman of the Board, Working Assets Management Company
- Advisory Board Member, The Rose Foundation
- Chairman of the Board, Progressive Asset Management
- Chairman, California Governor’s Public Investment Task Force
- Advisory Board Member, Women for Women International
- Member, Sacramento Board of Administration, Investment and Fiscal Management
- Consultant, California State Senate Select Committee on Investment Priorities & Objectives
- Consultant, Senate Committee on Energy & Public Utilities, California Legislature
- Consultant, California State & Consumer Services Agency
- Statewide Political Coordinator, California Council of Service Employees, SEIU, AFL-CIO
- Chair, N. CA Support Association for the Ecumenical Development Cooperative Society
- Vice Chair, Board of Directors, Filipino-American Chamber of Commerce of San Francisco
- Board Member, Northern California Community Loan Fund
- Co-Chair, KPFA Radio Capital Campaign
- Board Member & Treasurer, Collective Heritage Institute (Bioneers)
- Board Member, Mountain Lion Foundation
- Board Member, Treasurer and Audit Committee Chair, Pesticide Action Network
- Board Member & Treasurer, The Land Trust of Napa County
- Board Member, Light Index Investment Company
- Manager, Global Partners, LLC
- Board Member, Waterhealth International
- Board Member, Preservation Napa Valley
Yahoo – Human Rights Whereas, while Human Rights have traditionally been the domain of international law, in the era of globalization and technological change, privacy and freedom of expression have become among the most salient policy issues for multinational...
JPMorgan Chase – 2015 Whereas, our Company acknowledges its ongoing role in policymaking in its published policy, stating: “JPMorgan Chase believes that responsible corporate citizenship demands a strong commitment to a healthy and informed democracy through civic...
Whereas, our company’s political and business leadership has resulted in the creation of enormous individual and corporate wealth, the election and appointment of prosperous and respected politicians and government officials, including cabinet and U.S Treasury...
PALESTINE-ISRAEL––HOLY LAND PRINCIPLES WHEREAS, Intel Corporation has operations in Palestine-Israel; WHEREAS, achieving a lasting peace in the Holy Land -- with security for Israel and justice for Palestinians -- encourages us to promote a means for establishing...
Wellpoint -- Proxy Access RESOLVED: The shareholders of Wellpoint ask the board of directors to amend the bylaws to adopt a “proxy access” procedure whereby Wellpoint shall include in any proxy materials prepared for a shareholder meeting at which directors are to...
Bank of America -- Proxy Access RESOLVED: The shareholders of Bank of America ask the board of directors to amend the bylaws to adopt a “proxy access” procedure whereby Bank of America shall include in any proxy materials prepared for a shareholder meeting at which...