John Harrington, PhD is President of Harrington Investments, Inc., as well as a Manager of Community Commercial Ventures, LLC. Mr. Harrington has a BA degree in Political Science from Sonoma State University and has studied graduate economics at Sacramento State University, University of California Los Angeles, and the University of York, England.
John received his MA degree in Humanities from Dominican University. His master’s thesis was entitled “The Morality of Materialistic Self-Interest: The Corporation and the State”. In 2007, he received the Sonoma State University ‘Distinguished Alumni’ award. John was awarded a PhD in Philosophy at the Centre for Moral, Social and Political Theory, The Australian National University (ANU) for his dissertation entitled “The Failure to Constrain Corporate Social Injury, The State, the Stakeholder and the Fiduciary.”
Over the years John has held several NASD licenses, including Series 6, 7, 24, 26, and 63. He is the author of Investing With Your Conscience: How to Achieve High Returns Using Socially Responsible Investing (John Wiley & Sons, 1992) and The Challenge to Power: Money, Investing and Democracy (Chelsea Green Publishing, 2005).
Mr. Harrington’s current affiliations and positions include:
- Board Member, Scott Raymond Evans Foundation
- Member of Green Century President’s Circle
- Board Member & Treasurer, Community Development Finance
- Board Member & Owner, Capra Press
Former affiliations and positions include:
- Board Member & Treasurer, Global Exchange
- Board Member, Corporate Accountability International
- Board Member, Eleos Foundation
- President & Chairman of the Board, Working Assets Management Company
- Advisory Board Member, The Rose Foundation
- Chairman of the Board, Progressive Asset Management
- Chairman, California Governor’s Public Investment Task Force
- Advisory Board Member, Women for Women International
- Member, Sacramento Board of Administration, Investment and Fiscal Management
- Consultant, California State Senate Select Committee on Investment Priorities & Objectives
- Consultant, Senate Committee on Energy & Public Utilities, California Legislature
- Consultant, California State & Consumer Services Agency
- Statewide Political Coordinator, California Council of Service Employees, SEIU, AFL-CIO
- Chair, N. CA Support Association for the Ecumenical Development Cooperative Society
- Vice Chair, Board of Directors, Filipino-American Chamber of Commerce of San Francisco
- Board Member, Northern California Community Loan Fund
- Co-Chair, KPFA Radio Capital Campaign
- Board Member & Treasurer, Collective Heritage Institute (Bioneers)
- Board Member, Mountain Lion Foundation
- Board Member, Treasurer and Audit Committee Chair, Pesticide Action Network
- Board Member & Treasurer, The Land Trust of Napa County
- Board Member, Light Index Investment Company
- Manager, Global Partners, LLC
- Board Member, Waterhealth International
- Board Member, Preservation Napa Valley
On Friday, June 15, 2018, Harrington Investments, Inc. submitted a letter to Jeff Bezos, on behalf of some concerned Amazon (AMZN) shareholders, regarding AMZN's Facial "Rekognition" technology. The letter calls upon AMZN to halt further development and marketing of...
The Financial CHOICE Act - H.R.10 By John C. Harrington For over forty years, beginning with South Africa and the Vietnam conflict, John Harrington, and later, Harrington Investments (HII), has been able to voice opposition to apartheid, human rights abuses, war and...
Check out the collection of political, economic and social pieces on John's blog on the Huffington...
After the successful outcome of our engagement with both PepsiCo and Coca-Cola this proxy season, Sustainable Finance of Bloomberg Briefs took note of our unrelenting demand for sustainability oversight as a fiduciary duty. Third Time's a Charm in Getting...
February 7, 2017 – Napa, CA -- Harrington Investments, Inc., (HII) a socially responsible investment advisory firm based in Napa, California, announced today that it has convinced PepsiCo, Inc. (PEP) to create a Public Policy and Sustainability Committee of the board...
Company's efforts to move away from harmful chemicals must improve, say advocates at annual shareholder meeting Thursday, January 26, 2017 Bellevue, WA - Today, investors and consumers will ask Costco at its annual shareholder meeting to improve its efforts to tackle...