John Harrington, PhD is President of Harrington Investments, Inc., as well as a Manager of Community Commercial Ventures, LLC. Mr. Harrington has a BA degree in Political Science from Sonoma State University and has studied graduate economics at Sacramento State University, University of California Los Angeles, and the University of York, England.
John received his MA degree in Humanities from Dominican University. His master’s thesis was entitled “The Morality of Materialistic Self-Interest: The Corporation and the State”. In 2007, he received the Sonoma State University ‘Distinguished Alumni’ award. John was awarded a PhD in Philosophy at the Centre for Moral, Social and Political Theory, The Australian National University (ANU) for his dissertation entitled “The Failure to Constrain Corporate Social Injury, The State, the Stakeholder and the Fiduciary.”
Over the years John has held several NASD licenses, including Series 6, 7, 24, 26, and 63. He is the author of Investing With Your Conscience: How to Achieve High Returns Using Socially Responsible Investing (John Wiley & Sons, 1992) and The Challenge to Power: Money, Investing and Democracy (Chelsea Green Publishing, 2005).
Mr. Harrington’s current affiliations and positions include:
- Board Member, Scott Raymond Evans Foundation
- Board Member, Corporate Accountability International
- Board Member & Treasurer, Community Development Finance
- Board Member & Owner, Capra Press
Former affiliations and positions include:
- Board Member & Treasurer, Global Exchange
- Board Member, Eleos Foundation
- President & Chairman of the Board, Working Assets Management Company
- Advisory Board Member, The Rose Foundation
- Chairman of the Board, Progressive Asset Management
- Chairman, California Governor’s Public Investment Task Force
- Advisory Board Member, Women for Women International
- Member, Sacramento Board of Administration, Investment and Fiscal Management
- Consultant, California State Senate Select Committee on Investment Priorities & Objectives
- Consultant, Senate Committee on Energy & Public Utilities, California Legislature
- Consultant, California State & Consumer Services Agency
- Statewide Political Coordinator, California Council of Service Employees, SEIU, AFL-CIO
- Chair, N. CA Support Association for the Ecumenical Development Cooperative Society
- Vice Chair, Board of Directors, Filipino-American Chamber of Commerce of San Francisco
- Board Member, Northern California Community Loan Fund
- Co-Chair, KPFA Radio Capital Campaign
- Board Member & Treasurer, Collective Heritage Institute (Bioneers)
- Board Member, Mountain Lion Foundation
- Board Member, Treasurer and Audit Committee Chair, Pesticide Action Network
- Board Member & Treasurer, The Land Trust of Napa County
- Board Member, Light Index Investment Company
- Manager, Global Partners, LLC
- Board Member, Waterhealth International
- Board Member, Preservation Napa Valley
February 7, 2017 – Napa, CA -- Harrington Investments, Inc., (HII) a socially responsible investment advisory firm based in Napa, California, announced today that it has convinced PepsiCo, Inc. (PEP) to create a Public Policy and Sustainability Committee of the board...
Company's efforts to move away from harmful chemicals must improve, say advocates at annual shareholder meeting Thursday, January 26, 2017 Bellevue, WA - Today, investors and consumers will ask Costco at its annual shareholder meeting to improve its efforts to tackle...
Goldman Sachs (GS)(GOLD), known as “Government Golden”, because of its history of influencing the Federal Government by not only its significant money expended on political contributions and lobbying, but the fact that some of the highest federal government posts have...
Not unlike other major banks or non-bank financial institutions, JP Morgan Chase & Co. (JPM) racked up billions of dollars in fines and other penalties (over $38 billion), while no executives or bank directors went to jail; only owners pay, not those in...
Anthem (ANTM) or Blue Cross is a healthcare corporation that currently spends literally millions of dollars lobbying Congress and supporting the political endeavors of career politicians to deny patients quality healthcare and comprehensive coverage to millions of...
HII co-filed a shareholder resolution introduced by an individual shareholder, Steve Nieman, a colleague of one of our friends, John Chevedden, who for years, has sponsored many good governance resolutions in an attempt to improve corporate conduct, including...